Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Garden
So from 2006-on, here are some shots of the area around our water tank slowly evolving to today...

House still being built and water tank not yet installed.  Spetic tank breathers in foreground.
[Image: Tank_000.jpg]

Water tank in and my first garden shed.  Notice the Passionfruit along left of water tank.  All my photos with passionfruit are from that plant.
[Image: Tank_001.jpg]

Put in a pergola, and some pavers.  Trained the passionfruit up pergola.  Put some ponga logs as dividing fence on right, and a crappy bbq we never even lit.
[Image: Tank_01.jpg]

Table moved and a potting bench made and in its place.  Accidently killed the passionfruit by cutting back too near base of main stem.
Planted a cactus fence, got some free pavers for along house and general plants.
[Image: Tank_02.jpg]

Nothing much changed except I took down the pergola and cut it into a different one I'll show in another post.
Planted an Acer (later moved that) and that's a Tamarillo tree in background (that one died in following years frost).
[Image: Tank_03.jpg]

Decided I now had the skills to do something bit more flash.
[Image: Tank_04.jpg]

New, bigger pergola.
[Image: Tank_05.jpg]

Finishing touches almost done.  The is now a bbq and the boxing around the concrete has gone.  Will post a photo here once the plants are all pumping in summer.
[Image: Tank_06.jpg]
Is that a cactus?

Wish I had that much space around me Smile
I guess this is the mixture of familiar and exotic you've got to expect from New Zealand. And that cactus looks a lot like the saguaros from the southwestern USA. Say, Max, are these the cuttings you nicked from the botanical garden a few years ago? Oh, and is that your cow in the background?
Max wears leather chaps in his spare time and shouts 'Yee-haww' a lot ;P
LMFAO you 2 guys Wink
The house in the first photo you see up the hill is my parents place.
The land we are on is really ugly part in the middle of the neighbors farm.
The farmer subdivided the land and the shape is kind of like south america on a globe, tapers from the top, where my folks live down towards the right of the section to the road.
3 Hectres in total.
My parents put their section up as collateral for our mortgage so we didn't need a deposit, and we built on their section half way down.
There are at any time about 5-7 cows on my parents land, they buy the calves for couple hundred each, fatten them up, sell them after couple of years, that money pays the rates, 1 cow kept and killed for the freezer for them and us.

Future photos will show you more of the surrounding property, but the best part is a silt pond half way down the section past our house that is bare and the water runs out through a pipe put through the earthern bank.
Once I can be stuffed I plan to plant all around it. Not mine but no one wil care. (except the cows)

My leather chaps only come out during mummy and daddy time Wink

NTTL - Good memory mate. I forgot I had told you guys that Smile

I don't have many of the cacti I liberated from the botanical gardens anymore.

That particular catus gets full wind, no tlc at all, and has only gotten bigger and better each year.
It is about 3 metres tall (at least) once they get to about 2 metres they are almost indestructible.

Wait until you see my San Pedro cacti.

I have 2, I only had 1, but thought it had a disease on 1 of the arms, so I cuts the arm off the main plant.
The arm I cut off was about 1.5 metres tall.
After it was cut off, I laid it on the ground, peeled back the end that was cut to about 50-70mm up from the base, rounded the cut end, and left it on the lawn for about 1 month.

After it had been on the lawn, the cut end had started to heal (they need almost nothing to survive) which meant it was ready to try and root.
Stuck it in the ground and it is now taller than the original.

I'll post some older pics now in a new thread.
I enjoyed seeing the process you went through Max. I love Passionfruit vine. Some edible ones can be so amazing in scent and flavor. My grandmother has a place in Miami where she grows all types of exotic plants, mostly fruit. She had a passionfruit that completely consumed a garden structure, not sure if it was a pergola or what, it was densely covered. One summer we went for a visit and it was all gone to our bitter disappointment. We loved playing under there despite the spiders. Do you still have your Aeoniums? I didn't see them in the latter pictures. My sons used to pick up our neighbors discarded plants when they cut them back in the fall, and we got many types, perhaps most of my succulents came from discarded piles beside the dumpster. In the fifth picture, was that a rubber tree plant? It looks similar to mine, but it has deeper purple leaves in the new growth. The pergola looks like it's coming along nicely.
Ivy - yes all the Aeonium Schwarzkopf's were removed or died off since those photos.
On a bright note, I took 1 cutting to the garden I made for my work and it is thriving, so I will be taking a cutting to start up in my garden again this spring.
And yip that was a rubber tree. Completely unsure of the type. The mother of that plant was in a house in tropical northland of new zealand. I left it in a pot under the eaves on my house deck for 1 year through summer,autumn, winter, then planted out in garden the following spring.
Does die back from frost each year but puts out lots of growth each year to more than make up for the loss. Hasn't died yet *fingers crossed*

here is a photo of my bamboo pergola at the moment covered in passionfruit plant.
This growth is 1 year from ankle height. there are 3 plants at base of each side of uprights, so 6 plants in total.
The pergola is just 4 bamboo poles stuck in the dirt with trellis screwed to each pole, then another piece of trellis laid over the tops of the posts, so the tops of the posts are poking thru the gaps in the trellis (Had to handsaw small bits of the trellis to get the poles thru.
Unfortunately as they are not cemented etc, the sheer weight of the 6 plants has made it fall toward the steep slope and is collapsing.  I will be removing the posts and reuse the trellis with H5 dressed posts I happen to have.  It will take about 2-3 full days to carefully unpick all the individual plants off the existing pergola and lay out on the ground so I can remove the pergola and cement in the new posts.
It is very enjoyable for about 2 hours then it gets quite monotonous.  I have done something similar before.

[Image: IMG_0693.jpg]