Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garden Symphylan Infestation
Shocked 
For the last 2 years, a large number of our plants have started to fail.  We don't do much spraying for pest or fungus/bacteria and sort of let nature do its thing.  It has rewarded us with an amazing new selection of wildlife that we find in our garden and don't see elsewhere very often, if at all.  If something becomes a big issue, like Japanese Beetles, we will pick as many off as we can, and then spray the target plants with Neem-based products.  It seemed to be working for us.

Well, we started noticing a few years ago, that some plants were wilting, a lot, in the heat of the day.  Being sort of new to gardening (at the time), we chalked it up to the high heat and humidity in our area - which can definitely cause this symptom.  But then those plants would sometimes fail over the winter - the same ones that wilted in the summer.  But we sort of let it slide a bit, not being sure what it was or how to go about fixing it.  And just replanted the old spots.  With plants that then would wilt, and fail.
So finally, a couple of weeks ago, we went out with a shovel and started digging the plants that weren't doing so well.  And we made a discovery.
[Image: 7834295864_d53e5db9b0_m.jpg]

So has anyone encountered these before, and if so, did you find a solution?  The couple of EDU pages I've hit basically say, "till" or "fumigate", but this is a tightly packed garden, of several beds, and we protect our root zones from rodents with root-cages - tilling is not a viable option and fumigation is impractical, as well as very costly...
No, I don't remember ever seeing any of those guys before. All I can do is search for some book or scientific article on that matter - which means I'll have something to do for the weekend...
https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&...-uvMGPIXHw

This link seemed to have the best unbiased info about your pest.
Not a heck more than what you already know I'm afraid.
Thanks guys, for the replies.  I'm talking with the EDU about granular insecticide, as they did recommend that, but didn't recommend a brand/type.
Potatoes to the Rescue

They suspect that the potato plant roots exude some sort of a phytotoxin that kills symphylans, but they haven’t been able to isolate it.
(10-15-2016, 10:23 AM)notimetolose Wrote: From an Oregon State University article:
Yeah, as I said in my first post, tilling, nor fumigation are really options, so looking for something else.

(10-15-2016, 10:31 AM)notimetolose Wrote: Potatoes to the Rescue
This is interesting, but I think unless I want to become a potato farmer, this isn't really practical either. And I also have to wonder. While most parts of a potato (including the skin, if allowed to go green) are poisonous, the first plant we dug out of the ground was Aconitum, as in Monkshood, and they had been happily munching away at that for a while. Granted, different compounds, but still...

Thanks for taking the time to look into it. Much appreciated!